Dozens of people, many of them children, have died after an overloaded boat capsized in Gorau community, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State, in one of Nigeria's deadliest waterway accidents this year.
The boat was carrying farmers and labourers across the waterway when it overturned on Thursday, August 20, according to multiple reports. Many of the passengers were travelling to rice farms in the area.
The exact death toll remained unsettled as of Friday morning as recovery operations continued and officials issued figures at different stages of the response.
The Associated Press reported that Abdulkadir Yusuf, the Sokoto State manager of the National Inland Waterways Authority, put the toll at 47 deaths at the time of its report. AP said more than 80 people were believed to have been aboard the vessel.
Reuters reported an even higher toll, saying its correspondent saw 50 bodies at a community mosque in Gorau ahead of burial. An eyewitness later told Reuters that the death toll had reached 53 as additional bodies were recovered.
An earlier account attributed to NIWA had confirmed 41 deaths and 11 survivors, illustrating how rapidly the figures changed during the search and recovery operation.
Because authorities were still searching for passengers, The Verita Post is not treating any of the higher figures as a final official death toll.
The scale of the loss is particularly severe because of the number of children involved.
Reuters reported that NIWA's Yusuf said the bodies of around 40 children had been recovered. Nasiru Adamu, a Sokoto State lawmaker representing the area, said many of those aboard were between 10 and 15 years old.
AP similarly reported that many of the passengers were women and children travelling to farms for work during the rainy agricultural season.
One Gorau resident, Samaila Garba, told AP that his 13-year-old granddaughter was among those who died. He said virtually every household in the community had been affected by the disaster.
Local divers, emergency agencies and residents have been involved in the continuing operation to account for those who were aboard the vessel.
NIWA officials said overloading was among the factors being considered in relation to the accident.
An account by the News Agency of Nigeria quoted Yusuf as saying the vessel carried about 82 people and attributed the disaster to negligence, overloading and violation of safety rules.
Former Sokoto State governor Aminu Tambuwal and NIWA Governing Board Chairman Mukhtar Shagari have since expressed condolences to the families of the victims and called for measures to prevent similar tragedies.
Tambuwal called for an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the accident and stronger enforcement of waterway safety regulations.
Shagari said recurring deaths from boat accidents should prompt stronger action from regulators, state governments, operators and communities.
He urged operators to avoid overloading vessels and called for increased use of safety measures on inland waterways. He also said NIWA was working towards phasing out wooden boats as part of efforts to improve navigation safety.
The Gorau disaster comes amid longstanding concerns over fatal boat accidents across Nigeria.
Overloading, poorly maintained vessels, limited use of life jackets and weak enforcement of safety rules have repeatedly been identified as contributing factors in accidents, particularly in communities where waterways remain an important means of transportation.
NIWA said earlier this year that its safety measures included enforcement of the Inland Waterways Transportation Code and deployment of Water Marshals on Nigerian waterways.
Despite such measures, major accidents continue to occur.
In January, at least 25 people died after another boat capsized in Yobe State, according to Reuters.
Sokoto itself has experienced previous deadly boat accidents, including a separate incident in Goronyo Local Government Area in August 2025.
Comments (0)
Leave a Comment
No comments yet. Be the first to share your thoughts.