The Nigeria Football Federation has said the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission are investigating the utilisation of a N12 billion Federal Government intervention fund linked to outstanding payments for national teams.
The disclosure was contained in an NFF letter dated August 18, 2026, issued in response to a Freedom of Information request seeking financial records and utilisation logs relating to the intervention.
The letter, referenced NFF/LEG/10/1/879, was signed by Onoja Joshua on behalf of the NFF General Secretary and stated that documents relating to the request were already before the two anti-corruption agencies.
The federation said it could not provide the requested records because the subject matter was under investigation by the EFCC and ICPC.
PUNCH separately reported, citing a source familiar with the investigation, that some officials had been invited by investigators, made statements and were released on administrative bail while inquiries continued.
Neither being invited for questioning nor being placed on administrative bail establishes wrongdoing.
At the time of the PUNCH report, spokespersons for both anti-corruption agencies had not publicly provided further details about the investigation and could not be reached for comment. No charges against NFF officials were reported.
The scrutiny centres on a major intervention approved by President Bola Tinubu in January 2024 to clear longstanding financial obligations owed to Nigerian national teams.
At the time, the Presidency's media operation announced approval of N12 billion to settle outstanding payments involving national teams across various sports, including salaries owed to the senior national football team's coaches for up to 15 months and allowances due to men's, women's and U-20 teams.
Then Sports Minister John Owan-Enoh also publicly welcomed the approval, describing it as support for clearing outstanding salaries and bonuses owed to national teams.
The current investigation has emerged amid renewed scrutiny of the finances and administration of Nigerian football.
In its response to the FOI request, the NFF did not publicly provide a breakdown showing how the intervention funds were allocated or spent. Instead, it said the relevant documents were with the EFCC and ICPC.
Questions over unpaid bonuses and allowances have continued even after the 2024 intervention.
In November 2025, Super Eagles players boycotted a training session in Rabat ahead of a World Cup playoff, citing outstanding payments. In April 2026, members of Nigeria's U-20 men's team also complained about unpaid qualification bonuses and camp allowances, according to PUNCH.
Those later payment disputes do not by themselves show that money from the N12 billion intervention was misappropriated. They nevertheless increase public interest in establishing precisely how much money was released, which obligations it covered and how payments were made.
The investigation also comes during a difficult period for the administration of Nigerian football, with the NFF facing criticism following recent results by the country's senior national teams.
NFF President Ibrahim Gusau, elected in September 2022, is seeking another term at an elective congress scheduled for September 27, according to PUNCH.
Comments (0)
Leave a Comment
No comments yet. Be the first to share your thoughts.